Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about Royalty Checks

When are royalty checks mailed each month?
They are mailed on the 25th unless this day is a holiday or weekend; then they will be mailed on the first business day after the holiday or weekend. For example, if 7/25/XX falls on a Sunday, royalty checks will be mailed on 7/26/XX.
Why haven't I received my check?
Please wait ten business days to give the mail ample time for delivery before contacting Hilcorp. Our minimum check amount is $100.00. If due to fluctuation in volumes and/or prices, your accrued amount is less than $100.00, there will be no check issued that month. You may, however, request that funds be issued to you when your accrued amount reaches $25.00. Download the $25 Minimum Check Form (PDF).

Smaller revenue amounts that fail to meet the minimums above are accumulated month to month until they meet the minimum, at which time you will receive a check. Smaller revenue amounts that have accumulated to more than $10 per owner are paid at least once annually, in October.

Other reasons for not receiving a check include that your interest may have been placed in suspense due to a bad address, transfer of interest, or title dispute.

What do I do if my check is lost, stolen, or becomes outdated?
Contact our Owner Relations at 713-209-2457 to request payment if your check has been lost or stolen. Please have the following information ready when you call:

  • Your name
  • Your owner number
  • Your taxpayer identification number

We will verify the status of your check with our Treasury Department and stop payment if the check is outstanding. The funds will be made available again through reissue to you under a new check number. If your check is over 90 days old, it will not be honored. Please void the check and return it with a written request to reissue to:

Hilcorp Energy Company Attn:

Owner Relations PO Box 61229

Houston, TX 77208-1229

Why does my monthly payment sometimes vary?
Many factors contribute to your payment, including: market conditions, regulatory or contractual changes, diminished production, seasonal conditions, and downtime.
Why does my payment differ from others in my family?
This occurs because ownership between family members is not equal, because one party has not provided Hilcorp with a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN, or Social Security Number), or because some family members may own an interest in other properties in addition to those commonly owned.
What kind of taxes are deducted from my check?
Generally, state severance taxes are deducted. Further, if you do not provide us your Social Security Number, we may withhold federal income tax as required by the Internal Revenue Service. If you’re a non-resident alien, we may deduct federal income tax from your check.
What are the deductions on my check?
The deductions are usually transportation or gathering charges.
How can I better understand my check details?
Click HERE to view a sample check with labeled details.

Questions about Unpaid or Suspended Royalties

How do I find unclaimed funds in my name?
Please visit the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrator (NAUPA) website at to locate and collect unclaimed funds in your name.
Why are royalty payments suspended?
The reasons for suspending your revenue are: title dispute, death of owner, transfer of ownership, unknown address, unexecuted division order, escheated, legal requirement, lien, missing tax ID or Social Security number.

Questions as a San Juan Royalty Owner


We are pleased to announce that going forward, the details that accompany your monthly revenue check have been abridged in an effort to improve and simplify check details and our internal processing. Specifically, we have modified our process to now report revenue on a “unit basis” rather than at the “tract level.” This will not change the revenue amounts you are otherwise due from a particular Federal Unit or Communitized Area.

Hilcorp has begun paying on actual sales starting with January 2019.  Payments generated on April 25, 2019 will include both estimated and actual sales for January 2019 as well as actual sales for February 2019.  Questions?  Please email

San Juan Royalty Owner Letter

When will Hilcorp begin actualizing payments for prior periods?

Hilcorp intends to start actualizing prior periods in the 4th quarter of 2019.

What happens if I was underpaid for prior periods?

If you were underpaid your payment will include applicable statutory interest.

What happens if I was overpaid for prior periods?

In the event you were overpaid you will not be sent a bill; any over payments will be netted against future royalty payments.

What price is Hilcorp using?

Hilcorp is using March 2018 prices.

How are Hilcorp’s volume estimates determined?

Volume estimates are based on certain actual historical production numbers from either the prior operator or an actual production month operated by Hilcorp.

Why is Hilcorp paying royalties based on estimated production instead of actual production?

Hilcorp is paying royalties on estimates while we transition all ownership and properties from the multiple acquisitions Hilcorp has recently made in the San Juan Basin.

Why does my statement show my interest as a 100% ownership interest?

While the statement may show your ownership interest as 100% (i.e., 1.00000000), the ownership interest used for your payment is actual ownership based on the information received from the prior operators.

Can you please provide a copy of my Form 1099?

Please contact Owner Relations at 713-209-2457 to request a copy.

Who do I call if my payments are missing production months?

If your payments are missing production months please contact Owner Relations at 713- 209-2457 so Hilcorp can review accordingly.

What is the status of funds suspended by previous operators?

Funds placed in suspense by previous operators will transfer to our accounting system. Please check back with us later 1st quarter 2019 for an update on this transfer process.

What is the status of my ownership transfer?

We will begin processing ownership transfers in the 1st quarter of 2019.

Questions as a San Juan Working Interest Owner

When will gas imbalances statements be available?

Gas balancing statements should be available in 2019, we are currently working on it diligently and have dedicated resources. Please check back.

I believe that I am owed gas…..why isn’t Hilcorp adjusting my “available-for-sale”?

Currently your monthly “available for sale” volume is based upon your ownership percentage in the current production, once we get accurate imbalances your monthly balances may be adjusted upwards or downwards accordingly to represent the appropriate makeup.

I want to change gas marketers. How do I do that?

We are developing a system that will accommodate wholesale changes on a routine basis. In the meantime, if there is a specific issue you would like to discuss please contact the marketing group at

Where do I update my ownership address to ensure, my address is correct.

When do you expect to send out a marketing election letter?

We plan to send out a marketing election letter in 2019 please check back for any updates.

Why is my revenue being netted against my joint interest billing?

Hilcorp net’s unpaid joint interest billings against revenues derived from working interest prior to payments being processed.

Questions about other topics

What is a Division Order?
A Division Order is a directive signed on behalf of the Interest Owner verifying to the purchaser or operator of a well the decimal interest of production owned by the owner. It also provides the owner’s remittance address and taxpayer identification number.
Who do I contact to determine the value of my mineral interest?
Hilcorp does not provide any type of valuation or opinion of your interest.
Where do I send documents to have them recorded?
All heirship and conveyance documents must be filed of record with the parish or county where the property is located.

Hilcorp’s commitment to urgency and ownership allows me to quickly tackle and make decisions on major issues.

Operations Manager

Working every day with such wonderful people who are driven by the same principles and sense of ownership of the organization as I am makes each day a rewarding one.

Safety Manager

We constantly ask ourselves, ‘Is there a better way to do this’ Innovation is definitely a key component of Hilcorp’s success.

Senior Reservoir Engineer

Urgency is what separates Hilcorp from everybody else…At Hilcorp its ‘act today, not tomorrow’ and that makes a big difference.

Operations Engineer

This company is great. I look forward to coming to work each day and can truly say that this is “The Best Place to Work".


A flat organization with challenging work, smart, motivated people where everyone can make a difference – That’s Hilcorp.

Chief Operations Manager

I really feel like I’m working for a team that appreciates what we do.

Translate »


This is a test of the Emergency Response message.

For More Information